Website Monarch Instrument
A 45 year-old small, stable, family-owned manufacturing company
Monarch Instrument is a small, family-owned manufacturer of industrial equipment in Amherst, NH. We are celebrating 45 years in business this year and working with the second and third generations of owners to plan for the next 45+ years! We are a family/team striving for continuous improvement, quality, excellent customer service (internal and external customers) to help keep Monarch successful; when Monarch does well, we all do well!
The individual in this position is responsible for supporting the growth of Monarch Instrument through the development of firmware for Monarch Instrument products, using the most efficient, effective method which will be appealing and easy-to-use by our customers.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience writing code for embedded systems.
· Bachelors Degree in a technical discipline
· Suitable combination of education and experience will be considered
– Familiarity with embedded micro controllers and peripherals, specifically products from ARM devices, Texas Instrument (MSP430), ATMEL and Microchip (PIC).
– Proficient in C, and C++ languages. Knowledge of Assembly and scripting or high-level language (i.e. Python, C#) a plus.
– Able to use development tools including integrated compilers/debuggers in a Windows environment
– Object Oriented programming a plus
– Able to read and understand schematics and to use test instrumentation for debug purposes (Oscilloscope, Logic Analyzer)
– Understanding of communication protocols, using USB, Serial RS422/485 and Ethernet hardware required. Familiarity with wireless technology (i.e. WiFi, Bluetooth) desired.
– Able to fully test and debug code, including the generation of simple Windows PC programs for test and debug purposes a plus. Unit testing and version control (GIT) desired.
– Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and listening; primarily in English)
– Organizational, Time and Project Management skills
– Attention to detail
– Focus on quality
– Sense of urgency
– Team Player
– Continuous Improvement mindset; able to question and propose solutions for how to do things better
– Critical Thinking ability
– Reasoning ability (deductive and inductive)
– Interpersonal Skills
Job Responsibilities (E=Essential Function)
The duties and responsibilities of the Embedded Software Engineer include, but are not limited to, the following:
E: Develop firmware solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development lifecycle.
E: Architect maintainable best practices and create specifications based on customer requirements to meet expectations
E: Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
E: Prepare and install solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming. Improve operations by conducting systems analysis, recommending changes in policies and procedures.
E: Update job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participating in appropriate educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
E: Able to self-manage larger projects to successful completion, adhering to timelines, customer requirements and budgets.
E: Protect operations by keeping information confidential
· Support Production and Customer Service issues relating to firmware as needed.
· Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and exhibit a sufficient amount of required skills/competencies. The requirements listed herein are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Accountability and Reporting
· This position reports to the Engineering Manager, but may take direction from members of the Senior Management Team.
NOTE: We have no budget for relocation or sponsorship now or in the future.