Website SEE Science Center
SEE Science Center has been engaging visitors of all ages in the
Job Title: Visitor Services Lead
FSLA: Part-time hourly
Hours: 16 hours per week
Reports To: Education and Programs Coordinator
Mission: SEE Science Center is where everyone can discover the excitement of STEM through fun, hands-on experiences.
SEE Science Center has been engaging visitors of all ages in the pursuit of science discovery for over 30 years through museum hands-on exhibits, school field trips, summer camps, the SEEMobile, LEGO® Millyard Project, Science on Tap and other programs. Founded by inventor Dean Kamen, SEE is located in 30,000 square feet in the Manchester Millyard and welcomes over 40,000 visitors annually.
The primary function of the Visitor Services Lead is to oversee frontline operations during normal business hours. This position helps to facilitate the visitor experience at SEE by greeting guests, collecting admission, and acting as cashier in the gift shop. The Lead will also answer the telephone, route calls and provide general information to callers. Some clerical tasks and assistance in facilitating large group visits will be required. The Visitor Services Lead will also have the opportunity to run short demos for visitors on the Museum Exhibit Floor.
• Oversee junior weekend Visitor Services staff and manage end of shift cash outs and reporting.
• Train junior weekend Visitor Services staff on demonstrations and duties.
• Lead works under the indirect supervision of the Education and Programs Coordinator who assigns workloads and provides policy and procedural guidance on a regular basis.
Examples of Duties/Responsibilities
• Greet all guests promptly and in a friendly manner.
• Collect appropriate admission and log information into the PoS system.
• Answer general questions about SEE.
• Answer the telephone, route calls, take messages, answer inquiries.
• Act as cashier in the gift shop and complete shift close out procedures.
• Stock gift shop shelves.
• Perform demonstrations as needed.
• Maintain a high level of cleanliness at Museum entry and help preform basic tidying work during slow periods.
• Assist with clerical duties as needed.
• Lead in turning on/off exhibits and reporting exhibit issues to the appropriate staff.
• Must learn all weekend demos and have the ability to act as lead, training junior staff on these demos.
• Perform other duties as required.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work well with the public and harmoniously with others.
• Ability to supervise junior staff.
• Ability to lead and motivate with enthusiasm.
• Ability to perform several tasks at once under distracting circumstances.
• Must maintain a professional appearance.
• Interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) a plus.
• Must abide by all SEE Policies and Procedures.
• Must pass background check.
• Experience and ability to post on social media a plus.
Education and Experience:
• High school degree or GRE required.
• Previous experience operating a cash register and telephone system.
• Previous experience working in a front facing role with the public.
• Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk or working on a computer.
• Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
• Ability to orate and stand for short periods of time while giving group presentations.
SEE is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.